RedGreen Labour is a network for Labour Party members and supporters pushing for radical environmental politics within the Labour Party. We agree with the 2019 manifesto that the environment, and the Green New Deal, should be central to Labour policy and something all CLPs should actively campaign on. We recognize that the planet on which we live is facing a global ecological catastrophe which is hitting the poorest people in the world hardest. We are calling for a Just Transition to renewable energy, the creation of Climate Jobs, divestment from fossil fuel companies and for the public ownership of energy and water as well as other public services. We want to see the Labour Party as a radical, democratic, campaigning, socialist party involving large numbers of young people and activists in the struggle. We are committed to participatory democracy and values such as trade unionism, internationalism, feminism, anti-imperialism and for well-funded, democratically controlled public services. We aim to:
- Raise the profile of environmental & ecological issues and to develop an ecosocialist approach inside the Labour Party
- Open up discussion spaces on contentious issues to do with Climate & the Environment such as nuclear energy, economic growth, airport expansion, high-speed rail.
- Discuss important topics such as Housing, Transport, Health, Education in the context of climate change & environmental degradation
- Argue for the active involvement of Labour Party members & supporters in campaigns to defend the environment
- Work with Labour for a Green New Deal, SERA and other relevant groups in a friendly collaborative way.