Red-Green Labour was founded in the wake of Jeremy Corbyn’s stunning victory as Leader of the Labour Party and the huge increase in the Party’s activist base that resulted. We saw our mission as turning the Party outwards towards the environmental movement whilst pushing for a more radical environmental policy agenda.
The Party moved rapidly in this direction as seen in particular in the embrace of the idea of a Green New Deal at 2019 Labour Conference which was then incorporated in the 2019 Manifesto.
However, with the defeat of Corbynism and the apparent shift to the right under Keir Starmer, we continue to hold the Labour Party to its prior pledges and commitments. With that in mind, at our supporters meeting in January Red-Green Labour adopted an updated mission statement which is reproduced below.
We have also taken recent steps to re-vitalise and update our website and would like you to consider subscribing to receive notifications each time we publish a new article.
Sign up on the site: http://redgreenlabour.org/
RedGreen Labour is a network for Labour Party members and supporters pushing for radical environmental politics within the Labour Party. We agree with the 2019 manifesto that the environment, and the Green New Deal, should be central to Labour policy and something all CLPs should actively campaign on.
We recognize that the planet on which we live is facing a global ecological catastrophe which is hitting the poorest people in the world hardest. We are calling for a Just Transition to renewable energy, the creation of Climate Jobs, divestment from fossil fuel companies and for the public ownership of energy and water as well as other public services.
We want to see the Labour Party as a radical, democratic, campaigning, socialist party involving large numbers of young people and activists in the struggle. We are committed to participatory democracy and values such as trade unionism, internationalism, feminism, anti-imperialism and for well-funded, democratically controlled public services.
We aim to:
- Raise the profile of environmental & ecological issues and to develop an ecosocialist approach inside the Labour Party
- Open up discussion spaces on contentious issues to do with Climate & the Environment such as nuclear energy, economic growth, airport expansion, high-speed rail.
- Discuss important topics such as Housing, Transport, Health, Education in the context of climate change & environmental degradation
- Argue for the active involvement of Labour Party members & supporters in campaigns to defend the environment
- Work with SERA, Labour for a Green New and other relevant groups in a friendly collaborative way.
Our Facebook Discussion Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/135677497246915
Our Website: http://redgreenlabour.org/
Labour for a Green New Deal https://www.labourgnd.uk/
SERA – Labours Environmental Campaign: https://www.sera.org.uk/